BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

07-30-2024, 09:10 PM   #1
OnlyDaanish
Rep
Drives: 06 TL

Buying a 640i, What do I do?

Hi Everyone,

Im new to this forum but I figured this is the best place to ask and hopefully I can get some help. I've owned a now completely rebuilt 2006 TL for about 10 years. I've always been in love with the 6 Series since I saw it in 2012 (first car I ever took notice of and this got me into cars). I'm desperately looking for a 2016-2017 640i Xdrive (Black w/ White Interior + M-Pack and ACC, Safety features...etc) because I know the 650 engines are a pain (even though theres way more 650's fitting this criteria. W

hat I'd like to know is what to look for when buying and what can I do to basically give it a refresh like new! Im quite good at upgrading things in cars for example I plan on putting the new navigation screen and installing a 360 camera. But I know nothing about this engine and this cars suspension components

I notice that most of these cars I find are around the 70-100k mileage. So I figure at that point I'll need to do:

Suspension Refresh (I see some kits online, Idk if anyone actually uses them)
Spark Plugs
Clean the drain holes that apparently get clogged alot
Valve Cover Gaskets (I hear they're known to leak?)

This is as far as I know, but if anyone has a detailed guide on everything that needs to be replaced as preventative maintenance that would really help :/ My goal is to have the car running for the next 100k
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2024, 12:32 AM   #2
FlyinLowSD
Tinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 640i GC,1994 300ZX MT 2+2

Hey there, good evening. Well, welcome to the forum! Massive fund of knowledge here. That being said, all of your questions have been hashed over in one way or another. Therefore, my suggestion to you would be to get comfy, curl up with your laptop/tablet/phone and pour through the posts. That’s about what I did when I found the perfect 640 for me a few years ago.

Be aware that our vehicles share the N55 with other series, and are most closely related to the 5-ers (F10/F11) so you may want to look over there also. For example, you’ll find many more YTs of brake jobs for them.

Wishing you the best in finding a specimen to your exacting specifications. Stay open to others… you may see something that catches your eye. Then when you do, be sure to get a solid pre-purchase inspection, perhaps by an independent local to the seller and recommended by the local BMW CCA chapter.

PS: I find the search function here at Bimmerpost lacking (perhaps I’m not using it correctly), but find that I have great luck with Google searches that I preface with “6Post” or the like.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2024, 10:22 AM   #3
Bavariane31
Private
Rep
Drives: ‘03 530i, '16 640 GC

I just bought my 640i GC @80k miles two months ago so I can provide some helpful insight.

First off, there's no such thing as a cheap BMW. You're going to have to pay upfront now or later in maintenance costs and being German, you're going to have to get used to the premium upcharge in everything.

For example, my car was well maintained (driven by a lady in California in a gated community with money) and was pretty much spotless except for the front bumper rashes that one gets with a low car. It had all underbody panels still intact and a flawless interior. Even the soft plastic gloss climate control stack was devoid of scratches and none of the cheap plastic buttons were faded or cracked (I'm looking at you; the start/stop and parking brake buttons). Even the top trunklid gasket was fully attached (you should look for this when you look for used cars), so water ingress was not likely.

Anyways, my point is even though this was well taken care of I still spend around $4k getting her up to spec. If you want to get another 100k miles I would suggest doing the minimum of these:

1. Change all fluids (engine oil/filter, transmission oil/fliter/pan, rear diff, brake flush, coolant flush)
2. VCG and VC replacement (The PCV is integrated into the VC and goes bad around this time)
3. Water pump, thermostat replacement (water pump goes bad around 60-100k)
4. N55 specific problems (which are not nearly as bad as N63)
a. Replace plastic mickey mouse coolant flange with metal one
b. Replace belts/tensioners
c. Add Crankseal Guard
d. Replace plastic Charge and Turbo outlet pipes with metal ones (consider new intercooler)
e. Consider spark plugs (might as well while doing VC repalcement)
f. Consider walnut blasting

As you can see there's quite a few things that need to be done even on a well cared for car. Most of the time you're going to factor in new tires, alignment, even brakes and suspension at this mileage.

For N55 specific things watch out of extended oil service intervals. BMW caused this problem because they suggest 10k mile changes so all of these engines will be susceptible to valvetronic problems (valvetronic actuator, bearings, labor = $5k) and rod bearing problems = $$$$) even at recommended oil changes.

I watched a ton of Youtube vidoes about N55 and F10 car problems because F06/12/13 are rare and our cars are basically an F10 underneath. Same DIYs too. I highly suggest you do the same before you make your purchase.

Here's a couple of things I would look for that apply specifically to a 640i:
Check all 4 doors for Soft Close functionality
Check plastic buttons (trunk release, start/stop, parking brake)
Check top trunklid gasket (I bet if we took a forum poll at least 50% will have a loose one)
Check sunshades
Check for oil leaks (it's a BMW, so at minimum check VCG, OFGH, rear main seal)
Check valvetronic
Check for turbo rattle (turbos are basically consumable items now @ 100k miles but $$$)
Check rear camera deployment and retraction (sometimes they don't retract and need cleaning/oiling/replacing gasket)
Check proximity sensors (they won't work if there was a shody repair and they cost $350 each, the error messages constantly popping up will drive you mad)
Check for headlight issues (will need a code reader but if you have a low beam malfunction you'll probably will need a whole headlight replacement in the near future if you have LEDs = $$$)

Note that xdrive cars have hydraulic steering whereas RWD is electronically assisted. If you want a long lasting car get a RWD. The BMW transfer case in xDrive cars don't last long especially when tires are not within 1/4" of each other. Damage will occur and in a used car you don't know the history of this. Besides if you want to carry a space saver spare this makes RWD the only option. You can stick with OEM runflats but just know they are more expensive and have worse ride quality and noise. Many enthusiasts switch to a more traditional tire.

As for suspension kits, stick with OEM. I suggest FCP euro since they have a lifetime warranty on everything (yes, including oil) so if you're keeping your car 100+k miles then it's definitely worth sopping there, but they know that most people do not stick that long with cars so they still make money. If you're going to be installing a 360 camera then I suggest you look for a car that already has it equipped to save you $ and the headache.

Last edited by Bavariane31; 08-03-2024 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2024, 02:11 PM   #4
OnlyDaanish
Rep

Bavariane31 Thank you so much! this was exactly everything i was looking for. A 6 series just came up for 25k (+5k delivery and taxes) with 66k miles. and im still debating, seems like a lot to look for and i've never had a bmw so im still in between getting it or not
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2024, 04:43 PM   #5
Bavariane31
Private
Rep

I know…. Just don’t want you expecting a 6 to be cheap to maintain. It isn’t and won’t be. It’s only worth it to me because I DIY most things. If you don’t then I don’t think a used BMW is the best fit unless you have a lot of money to burn. The benefit of a BMW compared to most brands tho is that everything has documented DIYs.

I think of it this way. I purchased my car for about $20k….. There’s no way you can buy a comparable new car for anywhere near the same price with the features even accounting for an additional $5k in maintenance costs.

There’s an Individual spec’d blue 640i on Carvana now. Only has like 30k miles but it’s pre-lci. Has the Individual blue paint, platinum merino interior, with night vision, B&O sound system, 360 cameras, Individual wheels too. One of the highest spec 640i GC I have seen. Only thing that sucks about it is that it doesn’t have the m-sport package which is a huge bummer.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2024, 04:48 PM   #6
OnlyDaanish
Rep

Bavariane31 Im quite handy and plan to do all the things u mentioned myself. I have until tonight to decide because carvana held the car in my account for 24 hours. I just saw the blue one you're talking about. 2016 with 30kish isnt 2016 post LCI?, Wow its low miles, I do see it has M pack cause i see the steering wheel is M

But it has no Adaptive cruise control and the one im looking at 2015 with 66k does
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2024, 11:48 PM   #7
Bavariane31
Private
Rep

Oh there are two blue 640i GC on Carvana. One is a 2016 Xdrive in Mediterranean Blue with Red Interior and 35k Miles. It also has B&O and Night Vision (both very rare options in a 6 cylinder car). This one has the M Sport option.

The one I'm talking about is the 2014 RWD one with 27k miles. It is an Individual Car unlike the other one. Tanzanite Blue Exterior and Platinum Interior with Piano Black Trim and Individual Wheels (all of these are Individual options). It has the adaptive cruise, night vision, HUD, B&O, 360 cameras, active front seats, heating and cooling seats too. Negatives are that it is pre-lci, no M-sport package, and no advanced digital dash. Has pretty much every other option though. I much prefer the white interior of this one to the red of the other one.

You got the 2015 xDrive? It also has the Platinum interior. That's a great option. Doesn't have front active seats or night vision but that's minor. Those options are practically useless anyways. It's a great choice. I wish I had an Individual merino interior!

Last edited by Bavariane31; 08-17-2024 at 12:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2024, 07:40 AM   #8
OnlyDaanish
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavariane31 View Post
Oh there are two blue 640i GC on Carvana. One is a 2016 Xdrive in Mediterranean Blue with Red Interior and 35k Miles. It also has B&O and Night Vision (both very rare options in a 6 cylinder car). This one has the M Sport option.

The one I'm talking about is the 2014 RWD one with 27k miles. It is an Individual Car unlike the other one. Tanzanite Blue Exterior and Platinum Interior with Piano Black Trim and Individual Wheels (all of these are Individual options). It has the adaptive cruise, night vision, HUD, B&O, 360 cameras, active front seats, heating and cooling seats too. Negatives are that it is pre-lci, no M-sport package, and no advanced digital dash. Has pretty much every other option though. I much prefer the white interior of this one to the red of the other one.

You got the 2015 xDrive? It also has the Platinum interior. That's a great option. Doesn't have front active seats or night vision but that's minor. Those options are practically useless anyways. It's a great choice. I wish I had an Individual merino interior!
Ohhhh I see what ur talking about the 2014. Much better mileage and I love the interior color

I originally wanted white interior so badly and black exterior. But a 640i with black/white AND ACC seems impossible to find. I have Carvana holding the silver one for me for another day. What do u think? Wait for black/white hopefully with lower miles or get this one and paint it black while living with the beige interior. Also, can u take a look? I see a button missing on the left where the lane keep Assist buttons are? Does this car have to emergency braking? That seems impossible.

https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/3188573
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2024, 10:34 AM   #9
Bavariane31
Private
Rep

Getting a Individual black on Merino white 640i would be pretty rare. I've seen a few Individual options with the Citron black. Beautiful paint. Can't remember if I saw one with the white Opal interior though although it would be a logical combo. You'd probably have to wait awhile for it and it most likely won't be as well optioned as this one. I remember a Citron Black on Amaro Brown/Opal White for sale like 2 years ago. It was an amazing car. Personally, I could not and will not deal with a black car. It's too maintenance heavy to keep looking nice!

The 2015 you have on hold has the Individual Merino platinum interior according to a BMW VIN decoder. No idea why it shows up kinda beige in the pictures. Platinum is more of a white/grey. Opal is pure white. Ivory White is white/beige. It's probably the lighting conditions or camera.
The car you have on hold is very well optioned. It has Driver assistance Plus. All 6 series with Driver Assistance have auto braking but it allegedly only occurs at low speeds and at the very last minute to soften the blow. I would not depend on it to completely stop the car to prevent an accident. And regarding the blank button, you're probably talking about the one under the light controls? If so that's where the night vision would go. It's a very super rare and practically useless option.

Honestly if you can live with the Space Grey Exterior color it will be a great car. I don't think you should paint it black. Either super expensive or a lot of work and will ruin the resale value. Maybe consider a wrap? But that won't last forever. If you are set on a black car I would suggest you rather wait for one than repaint it. Might be awhile though.

I mean rather than repaint, personally I would get the Individual Tanzanite Blue car and spend the money upgrading the front and rear bumpers and side skirts to M-sport and painting those to match. Probably would cost less too. But it's not an XDrive.

Last edited by Bavariane31; 08-17-2024 at 10:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2024, 10:40 AM   #10
OnlyDaanish
Rep

Quote:
Getting a black on white would be pretty rare. I've seen a few Individual options with the Citron black. Beautiful paint. Can't remember if I saw one with the white Opal interior though although it would be a logical combo. You'd probably have to wait awhile for it and it most likely won't be as well optioned as this one. I remember a Citron Black on Amaro Brown/Opal White for sale like 2 years ago. It was an amazing car. Personally, I could not and will not deal with a black car. It's too maintenance heavy to keep looking nice!

The 2015 you have on hold has the Individual Merino platinum interior according to a BMW VIN decoder. No idea why it shows up kinda beige in the pictures. Platinum is more of a white/grey. Opal is pure white. Ivory White is white/beige. It's probably the lighting conditions or camera.
The car you have on hold is very well optioned. It has Driver assistance Plus. All 6 series with Driver Assistance have auto braking but it allegedly only occurs at low speeds and at the very last minute to soften the blow. I would not depend on it to completely stop the car to prevent an accident.

Honestly if you can live with the Space Grey Exterior color it will be a great car. I don't think you should paint it black. Either super expensive or a lot of work and will ruin the resale value. Maybe consider a wrap? But that won't last forever. If you are set on a black car I would suggest you rather wait for one than repaint it. Might be awhile though.

I mean rather than repaint, personally I would get the Individual Tanzanite Blue car and spend the money upgrading the front and rear bumpers and side skirts to M-sport and painting those to match. Probably would cost less too.
Oh shoot if it's not beige then Definitely I'd take grey!

I don't know when I'll resale since i put 5k a year on my cars. I want to keep it for a while. I need black and I paint my cars a specific black. You can see my acura here.

I don't want RWD so sadly that blue one isn't an option :/ Even tho the mileage is much nicer.

So M sport doesn't change suspension? just body and steering??

Considering you just pointed out the interior is grey, im about to place the order as soon as your next response comes in haha!

Also see this one has 5 buttons, it looks like a night vision button that mine doesnt have (whatever who needs it) and a forward collision warning button? that i think i dont have either? https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/3177348

Last edited by OnlyDaanish; 08-17-2024 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2024, 02:59 PM   #11
Bavariane31
Private
Rep

Ah shoot. Platinum is indeed a light light beige. It's Silverstone that's grey/white that I was thinking of. BMW has a lot of light interior colors for the 6 series.

Opal White = Pure White
Silverstone = Grey White
Platinum = Warm White
Ivory White = Beige White
Champagne = Yellow White

I'm not seeing the forward collision button you are speaking of. Your 2015 has 4 buttons on the bottom (driving assistance + HUD). The Blue one has 5 because of night vision. I'm pretty sure yours has forward collision because yours has the advanced driving assistance with following distance control.

Taken from another post:
M Sport Package Features:
1. M Sport Body Styling
2. Sport Exhaust
3. M Steering Wheel
4. Wheels (20” – style 373M)
5. Door Sills
6. Rear Styling
7. Anthracite Alcantara Headliner
8. Misc. – Foot Rest, ///M License Plate Frame

So it's mostly cosmetics

Last edited by Bavariane31; 08-17-2024 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2024, 03:05 PM   #12
OnlyDaanish
Rep

Quote:
Ah shoot. Platinum is indeed a light light beige. It's Silverstone that's grey/white that I was thinking of. BMW has a lot of light interior colors for the 6 series.

Opal White = Pure White
Silverstone = Grey White
Platinum = Warm White
Champagne = Yellow White

I'm not seeing the forward collision button you are speaking of. Your 2015 has 4 buttons on the bottom (driving assistance + HUD). The Blue one has 5 because of night vision.

Taken from another post:
M Sport Package Features:
1. M Sport Body Styling
2. Sport Exhaust
3. M Steering Wheel
4. Wheels (20” – style 373M)
5. Door Sills
6. Rear Styling
7. Anthracite Alcantara Headliner
8. Misc. – Foot Rest, ///M License Plate Frame

So it's mostly cosmetics
Quote:

Opal White = Pure White
Silverstone = Grey White
Platinum = Warm White
Champagne = Yellow White

I'm not seeing the forward collision button you are speaking of. Your 2015 has 4 buttons on the bottom (driving assistance + HUD). The Blue one has 5 because of night vision.
Warm white u know what that's fine haha

So if u look there's 2 different buttons but 1 button missing, its confusing...
I underlined it in the photo
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2024, 11:56 PM   #13
Bavariane31
Private
Rep

The first underlined button is the Collison Warning button. BMW changed this to the Intelligent Safety button during who knows what year which the second picture shows. It basically is the same thing but the intelligent safety is more advanced in that it can detect pedestrians (also at night if you have night vision).

I think you'll like Platinum. Definitely wished I had that interior compared to my dakota.

Last edited by Bavariane31; 08-18-2024 at 12:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2024, 03:09 PM   #14
OnlyDaanish
Rep

Quote:
The first underlined button is the Collison Warning button. BMW changed this to the Intelligent Safety button during who knows what year which the second picture shows. It basically is the same thing but the intelligent safety is more advanced in that it can detect pedestrians (also at night if you have night vision).

I think you'll like Platinum. Definitely wished I had that interior compared to my dakota.
I bought it It comes in a week. Thanks for all your help It really pushed me to go for it.

I have a car full on FCP euro and ECS tuning for stuff u mentioned. What about the vanos filters? I hear those are important. Here's what I have in my cart so far
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2024, 08:12 PM   #15
Bavariane31
Private
Rep

Congrats! Be sure to send pics when you get it. Well you followed through with maintenance alright. I would suggest just getting the plastic valve cover though as it basically is a disposable wear item. I heard the metal ones leak because they are poorly made and you need to replace the integrated PCV anyways. The metal transmission pan isn’t needed but if that’s what you want then I think I heard good things about it.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2024, 09:44 PM   #16
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Congrats! Looking forward to some pics!
      Today, 08:15 AM   #17
OnlyDaanish
Rep

Staszek Bavariane31

I got it a few weeks ago!! Its beautiful, definitely needs a bit of a tune up. So far i've got everything I need from FCP (like 3k worth lol). Im waiting on the shop to replace my window motors under warranty.

Delay in photos because I was cleaning up the interior and had to re-dye the seats, changed all the wood trim to Piano black, upgraded the navi, tinted the windows and had to clean the blower motor and create my own mesh filter to replace that corse filter that fell apart. Still Waiting on a custom flat bottom steering wheel with piano black top and bottom w/ Black stitching to be delivered
Attached Images

Appreciate 0