BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

08-20-2024, 05:28 PM   #1
JRonaldTrading
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640D GC

640D GC Remap Hardware Advice

Hey all,

Looking for some pointers regarding hardware as I am looking to remap my car shortly

I am pretty clueless when it comes to how to get the best out of a map with regards to hardware mods

I had a 320D perilously with no hardware mods and it was great, however I am seeing people doing muffler deletes etc with good reviews

Could anyone advise on whether it's better to remove the muffler / resonator / add a sports cat etc. Before doing the map?

Or is if just unnecessary to do so with a diesel?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2024, 03:34 AM   #2
nmirza
Rep
Drives: BMW 640d GC

I have been looking into this, the only thing I would advise on is the following to do before remapping -

1) Oil and oil filter change if not done recently
2) Gearbox service

I have been on the side regarding de-cat/sport cat especially with all the new MOT regulations coming down hard on diesels. Any messing around could be brought up as a failure or at the very least an advisory.

Safest options is a Stage 1, next step up from that is a de-cat/sport cat and to see real benefit from re-mapping would be an intercooler upgrade.

To be honest the gains you would make from a Stage 1 torque would be more than enough surely?
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2024, 04:00 AM   #3
JRonaldTrading
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640D GC

Hi there, many thanks for your reply!

Yeah totally agree. I'm about 2K away from needing an oil change so I am just going to do it now anyway

I have been looking for someone to do a gearbox service for me but with no luck. I don't trust any small garages to change mechatronic seals etc and I am not going to BMW for it as that will require a shed load of cash

I am pretty handy with the car and have done all major maintenance on it thus far, so I am happy with the gearbox service process myself. It's more that it's just a pain to do on my own really but if I have to, I will do it

Since the time of posting, I have decided just to keep the back box in situ. Like you say, the risk has real potential to to outweigh the benefit wit regards to MOTs nowadays

Thanks again for the input, much appreciated mate!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2024, 05:44 AM   #4
scubachris
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw f13 640d

hi.im in the uk and my last 3 640s have been remapped.
most places can do a generic stage 1.remap through obd for about £150 to £200.this will get you almost 400bhp.no hardware changes needed.and takes 20 minits..tons more torque and 2 to 3 more mpg.
you can have a custom remapp on a rolling road for about £500 to £600 with similar results.

stage 2 remap includes hardware changes ,biger intercooler and dpf delete..thick end of £1000.instant uk mot failure and a smokey exhaust AND only gives approx 20bhp more than stage 1.

also rear exhaust box delete gives drone noise when cruising.

also bmw wont do a transmittion service as they say it never needs servicing and oil is lifetime...but zf who make the gearbox for bmw say our gearbox needs fluid change service every 60,000 miles...iv had mine done and the hardest part is keeping the gearbox to 50 degrees c for the second warm top up.
my last 7 bmw diesel 6 cylinders have had generic remaps and at over 100k miles a couple of them and no issues at all.
Appreciate 0